Thursday, December 3, 2009

Final Blog Posting

My Reflection

My lesson was for the book "Where the Wild Things Are". I really enjoyed working with this book because there was so many different types of activities that could be done with it. I came up with the idea of using adjectives because I thought that it was something that could be helpful and I thought that it was something that I could make fun at the same time. It took a while for me to prepare for my lesson, but not as much time as i thought that it would. My father drew the picture that was on the poster board (Thank you daddy), and everything came together from their. I knew how I wanted to plan my lesson and the order I wanted it to go.

I was really nervous to actually teach my lesson because the first time I was in Dr. Luongo's class my lesson went terrible!!! Unexplainable. I was nervous and I felt like I lost control of the class. But this time when I presented my lesson, I actually enjoyed working with the behaviors. I had some student's acting silly, for example, Julia kept raising her hand and saying "I don't know". I would reply and say "well I know you don't know because I haven't said anything yet". This time I took a better approach and I didn't yell I just went along with the things that were said and done in this class.

When students misbehaved, I sent them to the back of the class with a worksheet and they would not be able to participate in the activity that was planned. Which I thought was a good idea because they would feel like they weren't apart of the class.

One thing that I would change about the lesson plan was when I had the students get up and put there adjectives up on the board. When they sat down, the class got a little noisy and it was because I gave them nothing to do. So I wish I would have had "busy worksheets" to give to them until it was time to go over every students adjectives.

Reflection of my Podcast


How I implemented to podcast into my lesson was basically while they were thinking of adjectives I had my podcast play the story as sort of a review of the story. I wanted to students to remember what the story was about and what type of adjectives I was looking for. Most of the students had great words to put up on the poster.

My students listened to the podcast or at least I tried to get them to listen to it. My podcast was very loud because while making it, I made sure to have a loud voice so that they can hear. So my podcast outweighed all of the students side chats and talking. I was very satisfied with the way my podcast came out because it actually worked. Students remembered the story and were able to write their adjectives based on it.

One other idea of using a podcast in the classroom is, instead of me personally reading the story I can have students listen to the story and while they listen I can show them the pictures. Hopefully they would listen, but I would not rely on that too much because you never know how much a student is listening. I would rather read the story to them so that I know I can have their attention. That is just the way that I feel comfortable.

2 comments:

Julia Margarita* said...

I loved your lesson Adalise! I love the fact that you had a lot of patience. You did a great job. Everytime I raised my hand and said "I don't know" you didn't yell at me, instead you were very nice and included me in your lesson! I think you're going to do a wonderful job with Union City's second graders next semester!!! GOOD LUCK!!!

Dr. Luongo said...

Nice job.

I agree with this reflection:

"One thing that I would change about the lesson plan was when I had the students get up and put there adjectives up on the board. When they sat down, the class got a little noisy and it was because I gave them nothing to do. So I wish I would have had "busy worksheets" to give to them until it was time to go over every students adjectives. "